2021 Read for the Record Book Announcement!
About Read for the Record
Jumpstart’s 16th annual Read for the Record is a high-visibility annual fall campaign engaging over 2 million participants who aim to:
- Increase awareness about the critical importance and impact of early literacy
- Make high-quality children’s books accessible for all children
- Provide support for Jumpstart for Young Children’s work with early learners in underserved communities across the country
This year, we recognize that things look and feel differently than they have before and Jumpstart’s Read for the Record is committed to meeting you where you are: at home, in the classroom, in your communities, in person and virtually. Updates that we are currently working on include:
- Strengthening global community connections
- Increasing accessibility to the selected campaign book
Sharing high-quality picture books with young children is at the core of Jumpstart’s mission.
Each year, Jumpstart selects a campaign book that fosters language and social-emotional development, honors the diversity in our world, has a strong narrative, and appeals to young children. That book is read across the country and around the world by adults and young readers on Read for the Record day.
Read for the Record Special Edition
Jumpstart’s team works with our selected publishing partner to create a special paperback edition of the campaign book with exclusive content.
Available in English or Spanish
• Activity guides and resources that bring the book to life
• Tips for reading with young children
• Vocabulary words
• Comprehension questions