Teach. Learn. Inspire.
Corps members are the heart of Jumpstart. Each school year, we recruit and train over 3,800 college students to implement the Jumpstart program in preschool classrooms where the need is highest in order to help prepare our most at-risk children for kindergarten.
What is the role of a Jumpstart Corps member?
Jumpstart Corps members implement the Jumpstart curriculum in preschool classrooms across the country and serve as an aid to teachers. Corps members serve on a team with 5-7 peers and work directly with a local Jumpstart staff member on training, session planning, service opportunities, and more.
Our Corps members allow us to reduce the student-to-teacher ratio to 3:1 in almost every Jumpstart classroom, enabling children to receive an individualized learning experience and develop nurturing relationships with caring adults. Through the Jumpstart program, we help ensure kindergarten readiness for over 11,300 children each year and provide our Corps members with the essential training, skills, and practical experience to be better prepared for the workforce, especially if they plan to pursue a career in education or related fields.
Who are Jumpstart Corps Members?
Jumpstart’s College Corps is made up of passionate students attending Jumpstart’s partner universities and colleges around the country. Our College Corps program offers students a chance to work alongside likeminded peers, receive high-quality training in early childhood development and education, and gain invaluable hands-on experience in the classroom, all while giving back to the local community. Jumpstart is a great opportunity for students who are interested in education, looking for a work-study opportunity, or simply love spending time with children. Students who participate can make an impact on educational equity while potentially earning funds to help pay for their college education through Federal Work Study or a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award (depending on where they serve).
Jumpstart’s College Corps programs first began in Connecticut in 1993 and have since expanded to serve children in 14 states and Washington, DC.
96% of our Corps reported that they would recommend serving with Jumpstart to their peers
Whether you’re interested in becoming a teacher, looking for a work study opportunity, want to gain valuable professional skills to better your career, or simply love spending time with children, Jumpstart is a great way to give back to your community and make a lasting impact.
- Gain professional experience working directly with children in preschool.
- Build your resume & become a well-rounded applicant for future employers.
- Receive ongoing training and work alongside a team passionate about doing work that matters.
For those who serve during the school-year, Corps members can expect:
- 200-300 hours of service throughout the school year
- 4+ hours every week in the classroom (two sessions per week for two hours each)
- 3+ hours of team planning every week
- 1-5 hours in the classroom (outside of the Jumpstart program) supporting teachers during the normal school day every week
- Opportunities to attend periodic service days to support the communities in which you serve
- Potential to earn Federal Work-Study, course credit, or receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award following your service*
For those who serve during the summer, Corps members can expect:
- Serving full-time in local preschool classrooms, at least 4 days per week
- Training and professional development from Jumpstart
- Supporting children’s learning through a research-based curriculum and increasing children’s kindergarten readiness
- Developing positive relationships with young children and your teammates
- Potential to earn Federal Work-Study, a stipend, course credit, or receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award following your service*
*Subject to eligibility and varies by location.
Children vary from 3-6 years old in age and come from a variety of different backgrounds. The children are full of the potential to learn and investigate their world. Jumpstart partners with preschools across the country in under resourced communities that are impacted by the effects of poverty.
Love spending time with a diverse group of dedicated and passionate people? Recruit, train, and manage volunteers for short and long-term service projects as a volunteer coordinator.
All it takes is the desire to make a difference…and YOU.
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at Jumpstart will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. Jumpstart does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.