Special Events Intern, New York
Jumpstart is a national early education organization working toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. By participating in Jumpstart’s yearlong program, children develop the language, literacy, and social and emotional skills they need to be ready for school, setting them on a path for lifelong success. Since 1993, Jumpstart has trained 50,000 college students and community volunteers to transform the lives of over 123,000 preschool children nationwide. Jumpstart is also a proud member of the AmeriCorps service network. Join us to work toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed!
Jumpstart seeks an energetic intern who is interested in gaining valuable experience in fundraising, special events, and more. The intern will join Jumpstart’s Development team based in the New York office and work closely with the Director of Corporate Giving and the Special Events Manager. The intern will develop an understanding of planning, promoting, supporting, and executing small to large-scale fundraising events, as well as learn about Jumpstart’s fundraising and PR/marketing efforts in the region. The Special Events intern will finish the internship having gained in-depth and hands on experience in event planning, a deeper understanding of the functioning of a nonprofit, and more about the early childhood education field. In addition, opportunities to sit in on meetings and presentations and/or connect with other staff, schedule dependent, can be arranged based on the intern’s area(s) of interest(s).
This is a part-time, unpaid internship. The intern must receive college credit for the internship. The work schedule is flexible (number of days per week and total hours served) based on criteria of the candidate’s school internship requirements.
The ideal candidate would be available from January to May 2020 and potentially throughout the summer if the intern’s schedule allows. The internship will be based in the Jumpstart’s New York office, located in mid-town Manhattan. The office is open Monday – Friday between the hours of 9am-6pm.
- Assist with execution, production and follow-up efforts of our annual spring gala, as well as help us prepare for our Fall Luncheon
- Update/create fundraising materials
- Research and solicit small businesses for potential in-kind donations and corporate partnerships
- Maintain up-to-date invite/prospect lists and trackers
- Provide vendor coordination support
- Physically receive, catalog, and organize auction items and book donations
- Support event set-up and clean-up day-of
- Research new event ideas
- Procure and organize supplies for upcoming events
- Prepare individual and bulk mailings
- Assist with general administrative support, additional projects, and data entry assistance as needed
- A Bachelor’s of Science/Bachelors of Arts degree already in progress
- Qualification to receive school credit for participation in the internship
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High organizational ability along with excellent attention to detail
- Adept skills in using Microsoft Excel and Word
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously, take initiative, and be a self-starter
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team
- Possess a good work ethic and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Have a strong interest in nonprofit work and/or Jumpstart’s mission and core values of learning, determination, connection, joy, and kindness
Academic credit from college/university OR regular compensation provided through academic institution.
Start Date, Duration, and Scheduling
- Spring Semester 2020: January through April (Dates flexible with intern’s schedule)
New York, NY
How To Apply
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume via email with “Special Events Intern” in the subject line to Julie.Degarmo@jstart.org. In the cover letter, please provide information on your availability to work, including days/times. As stated, this is an unpaid position and the intern must receive college credit from a college/university for the internship. Thank you and we look forward to reviewing your materials!
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.