How To Apply
Please complete an online application.* Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
*Jumpstart’s online application process is supported by ADP. To ensure that the online application works properly, please make sure cookies and pop-ups are enabled on your browser, and that firewall software (if used) is set to permit inbound and outbound traffic on port 443. Unfortunately, touch screens are not supported or certified by ADP. For the best possible user experience, ADP recommends a minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health choices, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 14 states plus Washington, DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging nearly 30 years of experience serving over 140,700 children with the support of more than 60,400 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at www.jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children!
The Recruiting Specialist works in partnership with the Talent Management team to support Jumpstart’s vision; mission; brand; strategic objectives; diversity, equity and inclusion goals; culture; and values by thoughtfully attracting and engaging with current and prospective employees and staff. The individual in this role functions in a hands-on capacity and is responsible for recruitment for a variety of positions, including diversity recruitment; recruitment strategies; candidate experience; recruitment reporting and analysis; training and coaching of hiring managers and interviewers; job description management; the criminal history check process for new hires (as needed); and contributing to other beneficial Talent Management initiatives as assigned. The position reports to the Senior Manager of Recruiting.
- Handle full cycle recruiting for multiple positions, including: posting decisions; reviewing resumes; sourcing candidates; conducting phone screens; scheduling interviews; developing hiring rubrics and behavioral interview questions; conducting behavioral based interviews; coaching hiring managers and other interviewers; checking references; extending job offers; and preparing offer letters
- Source and/or cultivate candidates via various websites, online platforms, professional associations and networks, and other in-person activities such as job fairs, as needed for vacancies; network and build relationships with individuals outside of Jumpstart to generate interest in the organization
- Work directly with hiring managers and interview team members to procure a rich, quality, diverse pool of candidates for each assigned vacancy and execute a successful recruitment process
- Create a quality and efficient interview process for both hiring teams and candidates by setting expectations, communicating timely updates, and providing appropriate feedback
- Use a collaborative and consultative approach to provide guidance to hiring teams and enhance best practices throughout the recruitment process, while maintaining a focus on the valuable aspects of a positive candidate experience
- Ensure all recruiting practices are in compliance with local, state and federal regulations and with Jumpstart’s policies
- Provide guidance to hiring managers and interviewers on legal aspects of interviewing and interviewing best practices
- Ensure the TM database of job descriptions and templates is kept up to date and organized
- Process employee referral bonuses as appropriate
- In collaboration with the Senior Manager of Recruiting work on developing a candidate experience
template to be utilized by Jumpstart staff across the network
- Implement and/or support a diversity recruitment strategy that enables Jumpstart to achieve its diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) goals: every open position will have a qualitied, diverse candidate pool
- Support and actively participate in DEI Recruiting & Hiring Committee
Measurement and Reporting
- Provide required data for Balanced Score Card (BSC) or Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Scorecard on a quarterly basis
- Provide internal monthly recruiting reports from and analyze data for insights and provide recommendations
- Prepare ad hoc reports as needed
Overall/Other Related Duties
- Establish strong working relationships and connections throughout the network to represent Jumpstart and the Talent Management team by providing an exceptional level of customer service to all current and prospective staff; and act as a role model in all internal and external interactions
- Respond to all employee and manager inquiries in a timely and accurate manner, and in a way that reflects Jumpstart’s values of learning, community, inclusive leadership, social justice, and joy
- Seek employee feedback via surveys, in-person meetings, interviews, or other methods
- Help analyze new recruiting tools and software as needed
- Conduct research on recruitment trends and sources as assigned
- Participate in Jumpstart committees and contribute to organizational initiatives
- Stay informed of Jumpstart’s overall benefits package in an effort to attract and retain staff
- Participate in other Talent Management tasks; responsibilities; and special projects, including, setting annual priorities, team meetings, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
- A minimum of 4-5 years of Human Resources experience, with an emphasis on individual responsibility for full-cycle recruiting
- High degree of emotional intelligence; comfort level in working and building relationships with individuals at various staff levels and locations, including ability to guide individuals on decision making and sometimes ambiguous situations
- Keen ability to problem solve and think critically, along with ability to glean the most important information in different situations or when facts are not known and synthesize all to present judgements
- Excellent time management skills, and ability to manage multiple vacancies/projects simultaneously and meet deliverables within appropriate timeframes
- Can function as a forward thinker to achieve results, while also focusing on process improvement as needed
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible; a reliable comfort level with shifting gears when priorities change
- Beneficial knowledge of HR principles and practices and employment law, as related to the hiring process
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s mission and desire to model the organization’s core values of learning, joy, community, inclusive leadership and social justice
- On-going commitment and interest in social justice or diversity, equity and inclusion work
- Solid proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse work backgrounds, perspectives and communities
Preferred or Ideal
- Knowledge of employment law
- Prior experience with an applicant tracking system(s), such Paycom
- Previous experience in the non-profit sector
Approximately 30% local, state, and/or national travel
August (desired start date, yet position open until filled)
Flexible location from one of Jumpstart’s hub offices: Atlanta, GA; Berkeley, CA; Boston, MA; Chicago, IL; Los Angeles, CA, New York, NY; or Washington, DC
Salary & Benefits
Salary – $70,000 (commensurate with education and experience) along with a great mission-driven work environment and excellent benefits