National Director of Donor Impact - New York, NY
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 15 states plus Washington DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging our 25 years of experience serving over 150,000 children with the support of more than 50,000 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at www.jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children!
The National Director, Donor Impact is a leadership position in the Development Division and provides oversight to Jumpstart’s fundraising with individual donors, including major, mid-level and annual fund. This position develops and implements strategies to drive significant growth for the individual donor pool, overseeing the team responsible for engaging individual donors in meaningful relationships that lead to sustained and increased gifts. The National Director oversees a regional portfolio of donors in the quad state (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania), along with national major donors located elsewhere.
Working alongside peers leading the Institutional, Corporate Engagement, and Marketing & Communications teams, the National Director, Donor Impact manages a $5M+ pipeline to contribute to a $12M+ annual private revenue goal, including holding a robust portfolio of individual donors and prospects. The ideal candidate is experienced in major gifts, understands the breadth of individual donor engagement work, knows how to effectively leverage VP- and C-suite staff to enhance donor relationships, and can manage a team of direct reports with compassion and a commitment to high achievement. This position reports to the Associate Vice President of Development and oversees a unit of three staff.
- Oversee and refine a robust major gifts and individual giving program, guiding and implementing the strategies necessary to significantly increase revenue from individual donors and prospects and meet an annual $5M+ revenue goal
- Manage a portfolio of both local and national donors and prospects, working closely with Executive and Leadership staff as needed to project-manage complex funder relationships
- In partnership with fellow National Directors, effectively manage complex funder relationships and engage team members to participate robustly in opportunities to maximize funding across Donor Impact, Corporate, and Institutional teams
- Contribute meaningfully to a Growth Capital Campaign, working in partnership with the Chief Development & Marketing Officer, AVP of Development, and CEO to identify, qualify, cultivate, and solicit individual donors capable of making a significant gift
- Inform event fundraising strategy, leveraging two large Scribbles to Novels galas (New York and San Francisco) to inspire donors and secure their financial support. Contribute to cross-team conversations about fresh and new ways to engage and solicit donors via in-person events, both large and small
- Effectively manage a team of geographically dispersed staff, including a Director of Donor Impact (West Coast), a Director of Donor Impact (Boston) and a Director of Annual Giving. Provide coaching, ongoing support, creative thinking, and a commitment to professional development
- Partner closely with the National Directors of Institutional and Corporate Giving, contributing to a cohesive leadership unit with shared objectives and a commitment to the professional growth of all Development staff and to meeting revenue goals
- Co-lead a Local Advisory Board, engaging members in meaningful opportunities to support the organization and understand the breadth of Jumpstart’s work in order to serve as effective champions and ambassadors
- Partner closely with the National Directors of Institutional and Corporate Giving, collaborating on fundraising strategy and donor engagement
- Partner with peers in the Program Operations, Program, Finance and other units to build cross-team collaboration at all levels of the organization
- Partner with the AVP of Development, Director of Marketing & Communications, and peers on strategies to significantly increase revenue, enhance Jumpstart’s brand, and cultivate a team of high-performing individuals
- 7+ years of experience in fundraising, sales, or development work including the development and implementation of strategic revenue generation plans targeting individual donors
- Demonstrated success building robust programs to engage major and individual donors and prospects to drive revenue growth
- Strong management skills and ability to lead, motivate, and cultivate a geographically dispersed team of externally-facing development staff
- Demonstrated success identifying, cultivating, securing, and growing a network of individual donors, with evidence of securing gifts of $100,000 and greater
- Excellent communication, including written, public speaking and presentation skills, with evidence of successful relationship management
- Superb project management skills, with ability to cultivate and manage internal partnerships to serve needs of complex funder relationships
- Comprehensive strategic thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills with the ability to plan and implement in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities, and demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Ability and willingness to travel to various locations as necessary for completion of job duties
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values of learning, social justice, community, joy, and inclusive leadership
Preferred or Ideal
- Experience in supporting successful fundraising events
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
- Prior experience/interest in social justice or diversity, equity, and inclusion work
Approximately 20% local, regional, and/or national travel
Immediate start or by May 2021 (desired start date, yet position open until filled)
- New York, NY
Salary & Benefits
Salary – $113,000; along with excellent benefits and a great mission-driven work environment
How To Apply
Please complete an online application.* Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
*Jumpstart’s online application process is supported by ADP. To ensure that the online application works properly, please make sure cookies and pop-ups are enabled on your browser, and that firewall software (if used) is set to permit inbound and outbound traffic on port 443. Unfortunately, touch screens are not supported or certified by ADP. For the best possible user experience, ADP recommends a minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health choices, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.