Marketing, Communications and Special Events Intern
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 15 states plus Washington, DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging over 25 years of experience serving over 133,000 children with the support of more than 58,000 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at www.jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children!
Jumpstart seeks an intern who is interested in gaining valuable experience in marketing, fundraising, special events, and more. The intern will join Jumpstart’s Marketing and Communications team virtually and work closely with the Special Events & Partnerships Manager and Read for the Record Campaign Lead & Project Manager. The intern will develop an understanding of planning, promoting, supporting and executing virtual events and campaigns as well as learn about Jumpstart’s fundraising and PR/marketing efforts. The Marcomm intern will finish the internship having gained in-depth and hands on experience in communications and event planning, a deeper understanding of the functioning of a nonprofit, and more about the early childhood education field. In addition, opportunities to sit in on meetings and presentations and/or connect with other staff, schedule dependent, can be arranged based on the intern’s area(s) of interest(s).
The ideal candidate would be available for the duration of the summer, June to August 2021 for a minimum of 24 hours per week. The internship is currently a virtual opportunity, with potential to return to the closest Jumpstart office depending on where the candidate is located. Jumpstart’s current operating hours are Monday – Friday between 9am-5pm (ET).
- Assist with execution, production, and follow-up efforts of our virtual events (Fundraising events and Read for the Record virtual engagement)
- Research and prospect new leads for Read for the Record participation and book sales (e.g. school districts)
- Support outreach and follow up with Read for the Record sales initiatives
- Research and prospect new business opportunities with Celebrity Ambassadors for Jumpstart
- Maintain up-to-date records of prospect lists and in CRM database(s)
- Research new event concepts and ideas
- Support communications for other virtual events and ad hoc projects (Panel Webinars, Donor Briefings)
- Assist with general administrative tasks, additional projects, and data entry assistance as needed
- A Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Arts degree already in progress
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High organizational ability along with excellent attention to detail
- Adept skills in using Microsoft Excel and Word
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and, take initiative, and be a self-starter
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team
- Possess a good work ethic and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Have a strong interest in nonprofit work and/or Jumpstart’s mission and core values of learning, social justice, community, joy, and inclusive leadership
The internship pays minimum wage for the state of residence and the intern must reside in a city/state where Jumpstart operates a hub office (Atlanta, GA; Boston, MA; Los Angeles, CA; New York, NY; or Washington, DC).
Start Date, Duration and Scheduling
Summer 2021; June – August (dates flexible with intern’s schedule)
- Virtual to start, with return to office location TBD at a later point in time
- Location will be from a city/state where Jumpstart currently operates a hub office (as listed above)
How To Apply
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume via email with “Special Events Intern” in the subject line to Sharon Reilly, Chief Development and Marketing Officer, at email@example.com. In the cover letter, please provide information on your availability to work, including days/times.
Thank you and we look forward to reviewing your materials!
Jumpstart for Young Children, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital or parental status, amnesty, political affiliation, veteran status, military service, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.