Manager Institutional Partnerships
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 15 states plus Washington DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging our 25 years of experience serving over 150,000 children with the support of more than 50,000 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at www.jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children!
The Manager, Institutional Partnerships is a member of the Development Department, with responsibility for a regional portfolio of institutional donors. The individual in this role identifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards a growing portfolio of institutional donors to meet regional goals. The position reports to the National Director of Institutional Partnership and works collaboratively with other members of the Institutional Partnerships team
- Working with the National Director of Institutional Partnerships design a comprehensive, multi-year fundraising strategy to garner support from foundations
- Identify, develop approach, and cultivate institutional prospects with the goal of submitting funding proposals
- Manage the grant submission process, working with Development Grant Writers, to draft letters of intent and proposals through the completion of detailed forms and reports for funders; work collaboratively across Jumpstart’s departments (Finance, Program, etc.) and the development operations team to gather and update information for grants and reports
- Manage the development and creation of proposals to institutional funders
- Strategize with the Institutional Partnership Team and the Development Department to ensure Jumpstart leverages its major campaigns and initiatives (which may include Read for the Record, Scribbles to Novels, and annual appeals) to enhance relationships with select institutional partners
- Participate in development-related functions including marketing, design/preparation of print materials, and other types of collateral for institutional funders
- Support strategies and leverage events such as Read for the Record, Scribbles to Novels, and other donor cultivation to engage institutional funders
- In collaboration with other members of the Development team support Jumpstart’s market events to meet revenue goals
- Maintain the electronic database (Salesforce) with all account activity, from prospecting through stewardship
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of successful experience in development and with institutional funders
- Creative and compelling communication skills
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to balance multiple projects, while performing at a high level in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Excellent relationship building skills; including the ability to personally connect with and engage diverse groups of internal and external stakeholders
- Comfort with establishing and stewarding relationships, in-person, over the phone, and via email
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, connection, determination, joy and kindness
- Proficiency with CRM (customer relationship management) software, as well as with MS Word, and Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and quality presentation skills
- Flexible work approach and the ability to act with sensitivity and discretion while handling confidential information
- Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities
- Ability to work independently and as a self-starter
- Ability and willingness to travel to various locations as necessary for completion of job duties
Preferred or Ideal
- Experience in supporting successful fundraising events
- Prior experience/interest in social justice or diversity, equity, and inclusion work
- Familiarity with Salesforce
Approximately 10% travel (either local, regional, or national)
January 2020 (desired start date, yet position open until filled)
- Boston, MA or Los Angeles, CA
Salary & Benefits
Salary – $60,000 – $65,000 commensurate with education and experience; along with competitive benefits and a great work environment
How To Apply
Please complete an online application.* Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
*Jumpstart’s online application process is supported by ADP. To ensure that the online application works properly, please make sure cookies and pop-ups are enabled on your browser, and that firewall software (if used) is set to permit inbound and outbound traffic on port 443. Unfortunately, touch screens are not supported or certified by ADP. For the best possible user experience, ADP recommends a minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health choices, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.