Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 14 states plus Washington, DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging nearly 30 years of experience serving over 133,000 children with the support of more than 58,000 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children!
The Grants Manager is responsible for overseeing all financial aspects of the execution of Jumpstart’s private and public funding sources, including all local and federal AmeriCorps awards. This position addresses tight deadlines and multiple activities related to data processing of a large volume of transactions each week, internal review to verify strict adherence to policies and procedures, general ledger updates, year-end audit schedule preparation and support, and serving as a customer service presence to both external and internal partners. This is a highly collaborative role that requires strong relationship building, systems building, and project management skills. This role reports directly to the Senior Financial Analyst.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Prepare journal entries to the general ledger to include, correct, or update data as appropriate.
- Manage multiple regular deadlines and tight turnarounds to support the organization’s needs.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department and to ensure GAAP and OMB compliance at all times.
- Manage all aspects of allocating resources and reporting actuals for AmeriCorps and other grants; work collaboratively with Finance, Development, and Program Operations to ensure both private and public funding fulfill donor expectations.
- Monitor grants spending throughout the year and make journal entry adjustments to ensure full spend down of awards.
- Ensure accurate accounting allocations of staff time across public and private awards.
- Prepare audit materials for public grants.
Compliance, Systems, and Data Management
- Identify and support system connections, relationships, and integrations as needed.
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements, and that all submitted expenses fall within allowability guidelines.
- Maintain familiarity with the requirements of AmeriCorps and other funding sources. Collaborate with Senior Manager, Award Administration to clearly communicate any changes to guidance.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, social justice, community, joy, and inclusive leadership
- At least 3-5 years of relevant professional experience
- Basic understanding of financial statements and accounting; expert quantitative skills
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to plan, implement, and balance multiple responsibilities and projects while performing at a high level in a fast-paced environment
- Desire to engage in extensive relationship building and collaboration
- Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities
- On-going commitment and interest in social justice or diversity, equity and inclusion work
- Eagerness to solicit feedback, propose solutions, and demonstrate flexibility and desire for continuous improvement
Preferred or Ideal
- Degree in Accounting or related field
- Exposure to government funding, especially AmeriCorps
- Knowledge of or exposure to Sage Intacct, Paycom, Adaptive Insights, and/or Salesforce
Approximately 5-10% travel may be required for network-wide events or retreats
June 2022 (desired start date, yet position open until filled)
- Boston, MA
Salary & Benefits
Salary – $68,000 – $72,000 commensurate with education and experience; along with excellent benefits and a great mission-driven work environment
How To Apply
Please complete an online application.* Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
*Jumpstart’s online application process is supported by ADP. To ensure that the online application works properly, please make sure cookies and pop-ups are enabled on your browser, and that firewall software (if used) is set to permit inbound and outbound traffic on port 443. Unfortunately, touch screens are not supported or certified by ADP. For the best possible user experience, ADP recommends a minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health choices, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.