Executive Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 14 states plus Washington, DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging nearly 30 years of experience serving over 140,700 children with the support of more than 60,400 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children!
This is an outstanding career opportunity for an exceptionally motivated and experienced Executive Assistant to provide high-level support to Jumpstart’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in a highly visible position. The Executive Assistant plays a pivotal role in ensuring that the CEO is primed for busy days and long-term objectives through advance preparation and follow up. The ideal candidate will leverage a broad range of skills with a high degree of professionalism, initiative, and collaboration in managing a variety of responsibilities in a fast-paced environment. The Executive Assistant must be detail-oriented and have strong organizational skills to effectively manage multiple priorities. They must quickly and proactively build organizational knowledge and relationships and think critically and creatively to support problem-solving and ensure strong communication flow and follow-through. The role reports to Jumpstart’s CEO.
- Ensure clarity, prioritization, and coordination of the CEO’s daily activities.
- Proactively maintain CEO’s calendar and daily schedule using MS Outlook; arrange upcoming meetings and conferences and prepare CEO by providing supporting agendas and information.
- Proactively collaborate with staff members and teams as needed to serve as an informed liaison to the CEO.
- Manage or assist with the management of internal policies and procedures on behalf of the CEO (e.g., new hire protocols, performance review processes, budgeting, etc.).
- Create, repurpose, and/or maintain executive files and documents, including PowerPoint decks Word documents, and Excel spreadsheets, to support CEO preparedness and meeting effectiveness.
- Manage or assist with special projects and events as needed including conducting research, event planning, preparation for speaking and other engagements, etc.
- Record meeting notes, tasks, and activities that are related to follow-up from meetings.
- Provide support to Executive Team for meeting preparation, logistics and follow up.
- Manage CEO travel arrangements and manage expenses using SAP Concur.
- Provide supplemental tech support and guidance to CEO in understanding, navigating, operating, and troubleshooting Jumpstart software applications, hardware, telecom equipment, online platforms, Zoom and MS Teams video technology and related functions, and other technology tools as applicable.
- Handle other administrative duties as necessary.
- Support clear lines of communication to and from the CEO and Executive Team members and other staff regarding needs for additional information, deadlines, assignments, priorities, etc.; keep CEO informed by providing updates and reporting results.
- Draft written communications for the CEO.
- Maintain Executive Team shared documents and intranet presence.
- Take and transcribe meeting minutes; prepare a variety of confidential and other communications from notes, discussions, or personal knowledge of circumstances.
- Respond to inquiries from external and internal stakeholders.
- Support CEO’s daily correspondence including writing, transcribing, editing, and proofreading.
- Cultivate strong, collaborative relationships internally and externally; serve as a liaison to staff, key stakeholders, and others on behalf of the CEO including members of the Executive Team, Leadership Team, Board of Directors, donors, and external parties with whom the CEO interacts.
- As needed, provide high-level support on behalf of the CEO for cross-functional, collaborative work and special projects as they arise; ensure key staff members are informed and included in key decision-making.
- Support the CEO’s work with Jumpstart’s National Board of Directors by partnering with CEO to schedule board meetings and committee meetings; to draft, send, and, where necessary, track communications with the board and communications follow up; to gather from other sources and/or prepare from previous documents meeting agendas, reports, and other materials that foster board engagement and facilitate the board’s oversight and governance functions; and to keep track of and support the annual cycle of activities the board engages in.
- Acquire and maintain in-depth knowledge of the organization’s mission, values, strategic goals, organizational imperatives, strategic plan, and program model.
- Schedule informational meetings with key staff members as needed to deepen understanding, create clarity, and assist with learning as needed.
- Access the organization’s intranet daily to track requests, special announcements, staff changes, etc.; provide updates to the CEO during regular check-ins or as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, social justice, community, joy, and inclusive leadership
- 7+ years of experience assisting high-level executives (preferably at the CEO level)
- Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities both internally (e.g., staff) and externally (e.g., National Board Members, donors, partners)
- Ability to handle confidential information and act with discretion
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills; strong ability to inform and engage through written communications
- Expertise in Microsoft Office suite and Google shared drive functionality
- Detail orientation and ability to hold high level focus simultaneously
- On-going commitment and interest in social justice or diversity, equity and inclusion work
Preferred or Ideal
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality work by bringing together multiple teams/departments for shared collaborative success
- Evidence of exceptional judgement and decision-making skills
- Ability to synthesize knowledge, information, and priorities to produce results quickly within a fast-paced organization
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and resourcefulness; ability to follow-through and close loops
- Ability to adapt to changing conditions and independently define priorities
ASAP (yet position open until filled)
Boston Office to provide direct support as needed to CEO. Telecommuting possible as part of a formal schedule of support.
Salary & Benefits
$75,000 to $85,000 annually, commensurate with education and experience; along with excellent benefits and a great mission-driven work environment
How To Apply
Please complete an online application.* Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
*Jumpstart’s online application process is supported by ADP. To ensure that the online application works properly, please make sure cookies and pop-ups are enabled on your browser, and that firewall software (if used) is set to permit inbound and outbound traffic on port 443. Unfortunately, touch screens are not supported or certified by ADP. For the best possible user experience, ADP recommends a minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health choices, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.