Director, Impact Initiatives
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 15 states plus Washington, DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging our 25 years of experience serving over 140,000 children with the support of more than 60,000 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children!
The Director of Impact Initiatives is a strategic thinker who has the ability to reimagine what’s possible by evolving existing marquee initiatives, developing pilot programs to bring Jumpstart’s impact to evolving market contexts and communities, navigating new trends, and engaging key donors and partners in the next generation of Jumpstart’s work.
Working in close partnership with a highly-integrated marketing and communications team, the director will design and deliver next-generation funding streams, partnerships, and brand elevation that support the organization’s mission today and build a funding and engagement plan beyond 2025 with a central focus on a year round approach to designing and implementing Jumpstart’s annual global literacy campaign, Read for the Record, that engages over 2 million participants each year.
This role reports to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications and manages one direct report. As with all positions of Jumpstart this role is responsible for embedding our DEI values in all aspects of the work.
Scaling Jumpstart’s Impact & Developing Pilots
- Design and develop plan to grow and diversify revenue streams around Read for the Record—working closely with publishing partners and collaboratively with Development and MarCom teams (as well as across the organization’s Education and Research and Programs teams) to deepen engagement with Read for the Record participants and other core constituent groups, i.e. Alumni
- Provide strategic direction and oversight for annual Read for the Record campaign, including overall project management, key performance metrics, and day-to-day implementation
- Align increased revenue with number of annual participants with goal of minimum of $2MM over the next 3 to 5 years effectively transitioning readers to Jumpstart donors addressing the critical issue of paucity of donors
- Manage key campaign relationships, including relationship with annual publishing partners and select RFTR partners, ensuring effective collaboration and identifying strategic growth opportunities
- Manage annual campaign publisher proposal process, ensuring organizational alignment and key stakeholder buy-in throughout
- Manage a budget of $500k for Read for the Record
- Develop new piloting strategy(ies) in locations where Jumpstart has offices, including markets with Local Advisory Boards, BOS, New York, LA, San Francisco, Atlanta.
Driving Public Awareness
- Work collaboratively with Marketing and Communications and Development teams as well as external vendors on messaging and campaigns that maximize public awareness and inspire action
- Communicate effectively with key stakeholders regarding Read for the Record and other Jumpstart initiatives
- Represent Jumpstart’s Read for the Record campaign across the early childhood and publishing fields, including at conferences, presentations, etc.
Operations and Logistics
- Maintain Read for the Record campaign inventory, working in close collaboration with Dev-Ops to streamline processes
- Ensure accurate data and record-keeping in systems (such as Salesforce, shared drives, etc) to support campaign analysis and inform future planning
- Oversee campaign book shipping and fulfillment processes (including fulfillment center vendor management) through collaboration with Dev-Ops to ensure successful campaign operations
Management, Evaluation, and Learning
- Manage, mentor, and support one direct report
- Collaborate with cross-functional team to analyze and report on real-time performance, including sales, logistics, media, and marketing analytics
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications and Dev-Ops teams to define, report, and interpret analytic results for all channels. Leverage analytical insights to drive effective decisions.
- Actively seek to develop innovative strategies to grow and/or streamline campaign
- Monitor competitive landscape, campaign participation, and continue to assess and define key campaign priorities through collaboration with Development and Marketing and Communications teams
- Bachelor’s degree plus 5+ years of related professional experience (ideally in marketing, communications, public relations, media relations, sales, or another relevant field)
- Strong track record of achievement in mission-driven organizations managing projects that focus on the intersection of education, equity, public engagement, and fundraising
- Visionary with ability to combine strategic direction and detail-oriented project management
- Strong people and project management skills: ability to conceive, lead, organize, and execute
- Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values of learning, social justice, community, joy, and inclusive leadership
- Prior experience/interest in social justice or diversity, equity, and inclusion work preferred
Minimum of 20% travel
- Boston, MA; Los Angeles, CA; Berkeley, CA; Atlanta, GA; Washington, DC; Chicago, IL
Salary & Benefits
$90,000-$100,000 – commensurate with education and experience; along with excellent benefits and a great mission-driven work environment
How To Apply
Please complete an online application.* Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
*Jumpstart’s online application process is supported by ADP. To ensure that the online application works properly, please make sure cookies and pop-ups are enabled on your browser, and that firewall software (if used) is set to permit inbound and outbound traffic on port 443. Unfortunately, touch screens are not supported or certified by ADP. For the best possible user experience, ADP recommends a minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health choices, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.