Director of Human Resources and Benefits Administration
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 15 states plus Washington DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging our 25 years of experience serving over 150,000 children with the support of more than 50,000 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these tree objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at http://www.jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children!
As a member of the Talent Management team, the Director of Human Resources and Benefits Administration supports Jumpstart’s vision, mission, brand, organizational imperatives, strategic priorities, culture and values by delivering high quality customer service in the areas of human resources and benefits administration. The individual in this role partners with the VP of People and Culture in the development and management of human resources’ policies, programs and guidelines for recruitment and retention, employee relations, benefits and compensation, performance management, professional development and training and organizational development. Additionally, they will lead the following areas of HR and Benefits Administration: performance management, compliance filings and audits, new hire paperwork/employee files, benefits administration, leaves of absences, employee verifications and unemployment, severance paperwork and termination processing.
The successful candidate will be flexible, collaborative, have experience problem solving challenging situations, and have a strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate a high level of responsibility and multiple priorities. The Director of Human Resources and Benefits Administration will report to the VP of People and Culture.
The Director of Human Resources and Benefits Administration will design and deploy a comprehensive strategy and platform that positions Jumpstart for successful growth by managing plans, programs and activities in key areas of HR and Benefits Administration and promote a diverse culture that fosters excellence, accountability, and opportunity for growth. Specific challenges and opportunities include:
- Establish Human Resources and Benefits Administration best practices that are consistent with the strategic plan goals that are within financial and timeline constraints. Develop and execute a plan to brand, market and increase employee awareness of and engagement in our benefits programs
- Lead compliance filings and audits, new hire paperwork/employee files, performance management, benefits administration, leaves of absences, employee verifications and unemployment, severance paperwork and termination processing
- Strengthen the implementation of Jumpstart’s current performance management process including measurement systems, performance documentation systems, compensation, incentive pay and other elements of a robust motivational structure designed to maximize performance
- Lead processes and actions related to performance issues for staff members
- Partner with the Staff Training and Learning team to build internal capacity for managers and make sure they have the skills, training, and knowledge to effectively lead, develop and support their teams
- Assist in the development and implementation of HR trainings and systems to ensure the supported, professional development of staff
- Support the development and implementation of succession planning to identify and develop high potential staff for future roles within the organization
- Drive conversation and processes that ensures Jumpstart continually strives to be a top notch place to work with high quality of life for employees
- Implement systems to continuously monitor staff satisfaction and retention
- Serve as an ambassador and representative of Jumpstart, building and leveraging networks to attract top talent and to increase the organization’s talent brand recognition nationally
- Serve as a strategic advisor, content expert, thought partner, and coach regarding key management and people issues to staff across the organization; consult with VP of People and Culture on human resources related policy, compliance and other issues
- Lead a team of 1-2 other staff to achieve annual organizational goals
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelors’ Degree, SPHR certification required, and 6-8 years related on-the-job experience
- Nonprofit experience preferred
- Has breadth and depth of knowledge in all HR disciplines; specifically understands and is well versed in federal and state employment statutes
- Knowledge of human resource functions, policies, procedures and employment law including a deep understanding of ERISA, PPACA, and COBRA policies
- A track record of successful change management and focus on the big picture, including helping senior staff scale and transform an organization
- Ability to think strategically and build systems and processes for successful human capital management long-term
- The presence, maturity, and credibility to be an agent of cultural change and challenge comfort zones
- Exceptional ability to communicate effectively and productively in both speaking and writing
- Strong emotional intelligence, active listening skills and a deep customer service orientation
- Experience creating programs designed to improve the work experience of a highly qualified and motivated staff
- A style that challenges the status quo; ability to make decisions, test hypotheses and deal promptly and fairly with challenging circumstances
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and detail- and deadline-oriented, with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to communicate a compelling vision and inspire others to the highest levels of performance and engagement
- A keen understanding of what motivates people and how to build flexible incentives that respond to diverse styles
- Outstanding cultural competency and sensitivity to all dimensions of diversity in the workplace
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s mission and values of joy, community, inclusive leadership, learning, and social justice
August 2021 (desired start date, yet position open until filled)
- Boston, MA
Salary & Benefits
$85,000 – along with excellent benefits and a great mission-driven work environment
How To Apply
Please complete an online application.* Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
*Jumpstart’s online application process is supported by ADP. To ensure that the online application works properly, please make sure cookies and pop-ups are enabled on your browser, and that firewall software (if used) is set to permit inbound and outbound traffic on port 443. Unfortunately, touch screens are not supported or certified by ADP. For the best possible user experience, ADP recommends a minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
Jumpstart for Young Children, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital or parental status, amnesty, political affiliation, veteran status, military service, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.