Director of Donor Impact - West Coast
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 15 states plus Washington DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging our 25 years of experience serving over 150,000 children with the support of more than 50,000 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at www.jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children!
The Director of Donor Impact is a key position within the Development Division and the Donor Impact team and is responsible for maximizing the fundraising opportunities for Jumpstart on the West Coast, primarily in the Bay Area and greater Los Angeles. This position manages a portfolio of individual major donors and implements the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship moves necessary to meet an annual fundraising goal, contributing to a team goal of $5M+ and the organization’s annual private revenue goal of $12M+.
The Director of Donor Impact plays a key role in ensuring the fundraising success of at least one local annual event. This position also manages and informs the strategy for Local Advisory Boards in San Francisco and LA.
The ideal candidate has superb relationship management skills, demonstrating emotional acuity and the ability to listen to, understand, and meaningfully engage donors from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives. Strong communication skills are a must, both in external and internal communications. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, thrives in a growing organization, and is comfortable navigating across time zones and geographies to get their work done while exemplifying Jumpstart’s values of community, learning, social justice, joy, and inclusive leadership. The Director of Donor Impact reports to the National Director, Donor Impact.
- Develop and implement a robust moves management plan to cultivate, solicit, and steward West Coast individual donors to meet annual fundraising goal
- Execute strategic activities to build the pipeline of individual donors on the West Coast, including small cultivation events, leveraging Jumpstart’s existing network, etc.
- Partner with Executive and Leadership Team members, as well as other Jumpstart staff, to deepen relationships with donors
- With support from the National Director and AVP of Development, manage Local Advisory Boards in San Francisco and Los Angeles, including meeting regularly with Board members and engaging them in Jumpstart’s work; and inform strategic conversations about the purpose and future management of these Boards
- Play a key role in the fundraising success of a local major fundraising event, including managing a Host Committee, making solicitations, and providing input on strategy; and where needed, provide some support for event logistics
- Collaborate with fellow Directors of Donor Impact, as well as other members of the Development and Marketing & Communications teams to meet Jumpstart’s fundraising goals
- At least 3-5 years of experience in fundraising, sales, or development work including directly managing relationships with donors
- Demonstrated success identifying, cultivating, securing, and growing a network of individual donors, with evidence of securing gifts of $25,000 and greater
- Strong communication, including written, public speaking and presentation skills, with evidence of successful relationship management and donor communications
- Comprehensive strategic thinking and problem-solving skills with the ability to plan and implement in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to effectively leverage leadership and C-suite colleagues to manage and deepen donor relationships
- Strong attention to detail along with ability to juggle various timelines and deliver on deadlines
- Ability and willingness to travel to various locations as necessary for completion of job duties
- Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values of learning, community, social justice, joy, and inclusive leadership
Preferred or Ideal
- Experience in supporting successful fundraising events
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
- Prior experience/interest in social justice or diversity, equity, and inclusion work
- Experience with Salesforce
Approximately 20% travel (either local, regional, or national)
January 2021 (desired start date, yet position open until filled)
- San Francisco, CA or Los Angeles, CA (slight preference for San Francisco)
- Applicants must be able to work from one of these locations on a regular basis; flexible work arrangements/work hours will be considered
Salary & Benefits
Salary – $90,000; along with excellent benefits and a great work environment
How To Apply
Please complete an online application.* Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
*Jumpstart’s online application process is supported by ADP. To ensure that the online application works properly, please make sure cookies and pop-ups are enabled on your browser, and that firewall software (if used) is set to permit inbound and outbound traffic on port 443. Unfortunately, touch screens are not supported or certified by ADP. For the best possible user experience, ADP recommends a minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health choices, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.