Development Grant Writer
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 14 states plus Washington, DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging nearly 30 years of experience serving over 140,700 children with the support of more than 60,400 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children!
The Development Grant Writer’s main responsibility is to provide grant writing support to Jumpstart’s Development Division, which includes fundraising, and selected marketing, and communications materials. The ideal candidate will be an excellent written communicator and highly organized; as well as demonstrate a high level of ability in project management and taking ownership of projects. This position reports to the Senior Grant Writer.
- Support the proposal, grant, and report writing and editing process for institutional funders, corporate donors, and other organizational funders and prospects
- Craft compelling written materials for use in cultivating, stewarding, and soliciting institutional, corporate, and selected individual donors
- Assist in leading the grant writing process for government grants, including AmeriCorps proposals
- Collaborate with the marketing team to create and/or edit select copy for other development content and collateral materials which may include Jumpstart’s annual report, press releases, content for jstart.org, newsletters, and other specialized content for use in print and digital media
- Stay abreast of grant making trends and best practices
- Contribute to special events and projects as part of the Development team
- Handle other duties as assigned by the Senior Grant Writer
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
- Excellent writing skills, including grammar-checking and proofreading abilities
- Creative, clear, and compelling writing style with scrupulous attention to detail and accuracy
- A command of effective storytelling
- At least 3 years of professional experience in grant or technical writing
- Strong project management and analytical skills, including the ability to balance multiple priorities while performing at a high-level in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, community, inclusive leadership, joy and social justice
- Ability to work independently and as a self-starter
- Clear enthusiasm for development or marketing work and Jumpstart’s mission
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams
- Ability to proficiently use MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher)
- On-going commitment and interest in social justice or diversity, equity and inclusion work
Preferred or Ideal
- Experience in the non-profit or public sector
ASAP (yet position open until filled)
- Flexible location from one of Jumpstart’s Field Offices in Boston, MA; Chicago, IL; Los Angeles, CA; San Francisco, CA, Atlanta, GA, or New York, NY
- Applicants must be able to work from either one of these locations on a full-time basis
Salary & Benefits
$55,000 – $57,000 commensurate with education and experience; along with excellent benefits and a great mission-driven work environment.
How To Apply
Please complete an online application.* Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
*Jumpstart’s online application process is supported by ADP. To ensure that the online application works properly, please make sure cookies and pop-ups are enabled on your browser, and that firewall software (if used) is set to permit inbound and outbound traffic on port 443. Unfortunately, touch screens are not supported or certified by ADP. For the best possible user experience, ADP recommends a minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health choices, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.