Community and Partnerships Manager – New York, NY
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 15 states plus Washington DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging our 25 years of experience serving over 150,000 children with the support of more than 50,000 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at http://www.jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children
The Community and Partnerships Manager is responsible for providing critical assistance to ensure high quality program implementation and community engagement. The Community and Partnerships Manager works with the New York City-based Jumpstart staff and partners with external organizations to provide community engagement and programming throughout the City.
The individual in this role provides project management and coordination for Jumpstart’s New York City community-based initiatives and serves as a liaison between Jumpstart and community partners. Other duties include programmatic support, data, and systems management. The role is highly external and involves frequent interactions with families, community partners and other stakeholders, so they are engaged in Jumpstart’s efforts to promote literacy-rich neighborhoods across NYC. The position requires a highly organized and motivated individual who is able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, maintain a positive attitude in stressful situations and possesses the ability to create and manage systems.
The position is based out of Jumpstart’s New York City regional office but requires frequent out of office work for events and community engagement activities, along with occasional non-traditional work hours. The Community and Partnerships Manager reports to the Director of Field Programs, Community Impact.
Build and Maintain Positive, Productive, and Sustainable Partnerships
- Build, sustain, and deepen Jumpstart’s community, preschool, and stakeholder partnerships in New York
- Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with key community stakeholders, including representing Jumpstart at stakeholder meetings
- Ensure the involvement and leadership of key external stakeholders
- Collaborate with local staff to support fundraising efforts of projects
- Host agency supporters at community events
- Plan and execute corporate volunteer opportunities
- Support Jumpstart’s Read for the Record campaign
Program Management and Strategy
- Collaborate with national and local staff to create innovative, impactful program models based on community interests
- Support the execution of the NYC Summer Program, and Extended Day program
- Support the execution of other programs as assigned (such as partnership contracts)
- Support the execution of event plans that promote early language, literacy, and social-emotional development and engage family and community members, including Jumpstart for a Day
- Create and implement work plans for Jumpstart directed initiatives
- Compose regular updates for Jumpstart team on the progress of initiatives.
- Oversee and maintain all budgetary and reporting requirements, including maintaining a tracker for events and workshops, ensure completion of all grant requirements associated with this role
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, connection, determination, joy and kindness
- At least 1-2 years of professional experience in community engagement with demonstrated track record of success in relationship development and management of key partners
- Possess and understanding of local trends, leaders, and stakeholders
- Prior event planning experience
- Strong organizational skills along with ability to work flexibly in a dynamic environment
- Ability and willingness to travel to assigned locations/sites as necessary as well as work evenings and weekends as needed to complete duties of the role
- Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities
- Superb communication skills, including the ability to write clearly and to speak to multiple diverse audiences and partners with a clear, responsive, and appropriate message
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in order to meet key tasks as scheduled
Preferred or Ideal
- Prior experience/interest in social justice or diversity, equity, and inclusion work
- Bilingual language skills in Spanish
- Prior experience in early childhood education, social work, nonprofit, higher education, and/or community outreach
- Ability to lift 20 lbs. as needed to transport materials/collateral
Approximately 35% local travel; some evening and weekend work/travel may be required
January 2020 (desired start date, yet position open until filled)
New York, NY (Manhattan)
Salary & Benefits
Salary – $58,500 commensurate with education and experience; along with competitive benefits and a great work environment
How To Apply
Please complete an online application.* Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
*Jumpstart’s online application process is supported by ADP. To ensure that the online application works properly, please make sure cookies and pop-ups are enabled on your browser, and that firewall software (if used) is set to permit inbound and outbound traffic on port 443. Unfortunately, touch screens are not supported or certified by ADP. For the best possible user experience, ADP recommends a minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health choices, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.