Vice President of Policy & Government Relations
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 15 states plus Washington, DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-based curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities; workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education; and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging nearly 30 years of experience serving over 157,900 children with the support of more than 62,500 college students, community volunteers, and alumni who are credentialed ECE teachers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at www.jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children!
For more information on Jumpstart, please visit website.
Jumpstart is seeking a highly entrepreneurial leader to serve as Vice President of Policy & Government Relations. This position will be responsible for developing and executing Jumpstart’s policy advocacy strategy at the federal, state, and local levels with a particular focus on policies that support the early education workforce and the national service movement. The Vice President of Policy & Government Relations will have responsibility for leading collaboration across multiple departments to develop and implement Jumpstart’s state-based strategy in CA, MA and GA.
The Vice President of Policy & Government Relations identifies and develops relationships with key elected and appointed officials and advocacy coalitions in order to increase Jumpstart’s visibility, position the organization as an important resource in the policy community, and ensure that we are leveraging the organization’s considerable assets in the policy space. This role will formulate a public policy agenda aligned to Jumpstart’s strategic plan, and guide Jumpstart’s leadership in the navigation of complex political relationships. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President of Policy & Government Relations will be a member of Jumpstart’s Vice President and Leadership Teams, developing and implementing organizational strategy, policy, and growth. Jumpstart’s Vice President of Policy & Government Relations oversees a team of 6 FTEs and two Fellows.
Strategy and Implementation
- Develop and implement a strategy for driving Jumpstart’s public policy agenda that advances Jumpstart’s mission and is consistent with its strategic priorities.
- In collaboration with multiple departments, develop and implement a strategy for integrating Jumpstart’s direct service, workforce programming, policy advocacy and alumni engagement in three states – CA, MA, and GA.
- Utilize all available methods including public appearances, thought leadership, direct advocacy, coalition participation, and public education efforts to advance Jumpstart’s policy agenda.
- Develop expertise in early education workforce policy and an understanding of where the opportunities for Jumpstart’s impact exist.
- Track executive branch and legislative developments in the policy space and serve as a resource to the organization to inform, advise, and engage them in public policy efforts, while working closely with the Marketing/Communications, Program, Development, and Operations leaders.
- Train and inform alumni to engage in identified advocacy efforts.
- Collaborate with internal and external content experts to shape, update, and communicate Jumpstart’s position on public policy issues.
- Participate in stakeholder coalitions and workgroups on behalf of Jumpstart in order to have a hand and voice in the shaping of policy and a presence in government and political circles.
- Identify government funding opportunities to support Jumpstart’s programmatic activities and collaborate with Development to apply for them.
People Management/Team Leadership
- Approach all of Jumpstart’s work, both internally and externally, guided by Jumpstart’s values and a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Inspire and empower a high functioning national team using a strengths-based approach to management and a style based on mutual trust and accountability.
- Develop, nurture, and expand positive collaborative relationships with key federal, state, and local elected and government officials, and other business, university, and nonprofit leaders aligned to support Jumpstart’s advocacy agenda.
- Intentionally collaborate with other Vice Presidents to ensure that Jumpstart is meeting strategic goals and leveraging opportunities across function and geography.
National Leadership Responsibilities
- Participate on Jumpstart’s Leadership and Vice President Teams.
- Collaborate with national leadership staff on developing strategy for the organization.
- Collaborate in the identification and stewardship of regionally based national sponsors and donors.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required; Master’s Degree or Juris Doctor is preferred.
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, community, social justice, joy, and inclusive leadership.
- Deep rooted understanding of, and commitment to, diversity, equity and inclusion and experience doing systemic work in this area.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in public policy/government/non-profit leadership; experience in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; experience in early childhood education preferred.
- Entrepreneurial self-starter with a proven ability to reach ambitious goals in a high-growth environment.
- Strong relationship-building skills, with an ability to leverage own networks to broaden Jumpstart’s; knowledge of and/or experience in higher education and political circles.
- Strong communication, including written, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Comprehensive analytical, strategic thinking, and problem-solving skills with the ability to plan and implement in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
- Energetic, enthusiastic team-player eager to contribute and grow within a highly collaborative environment.
- Humility and a commitment to continuous learning.
- Ability to undertake regular travel.
- Understanding of AmeriCorps and National Service Programs is a plus.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. The salary range for this role is $150,000 – $175,000 with a generous benefits package.
Note that the final salary will reflect internal equity and the selected candidate’s individual experiences and qualifications.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy and Shannon O’Neill here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities. Please visit our website at jstart.org.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.