Senior Director of Marketing, Communications & Brand
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 14 states plus Washington, DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high quality early learning for all. By leveraging nearly 30 years of experience serving over 157,900 children with the support of more than 62,500 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at www.jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children!
This is an exciting time for the Marketing, Communications & Brand team at Jumpstart as we approach the 30th Anniversary in 2024. This Senior Director of Marketing, Communications & Brand position is an integral team leader in helping to deepen and expand support for Jumpstart’s impact by driving success in integrated brand and direct marketing communications to elevate and extend the Jumpstart Brand across the organization, in the media, and with target audiences.
The Senior Director of Marketing, Communications & Brand reports to the Vice President of Marketing, Communications & Brand and will manage the functional leads for Impact Initiatives, Creative Content, and Digital Marketing ensuring a cohesive brand identity and strengthening organizational communication, collaboration, and performance.
Marketing, Communications & Brand Management
- Strategic thought partner to Vice President of Marketing, Communications & Brand to conceive and develop strategy to grow the Jumpstart Brand awareness and increase supporter engagement
- Manage Digital Marketing and Creative Content teams to optimize engagement and content for the digital platforms and supporter journey
- Lead on strategic media relations, writing and pitching announcements to drive organizational thought leadership strategy
- Provide direction and oversight for the Director of Impact Initiatives in broadening Jumpstart brand awareness, and optimizing the Read for the Record campaign
- Create systems and protocols to analyze and report on Marketing, Communications & Brand performance and guide decision-making
People Management and Leadership
- Manage, coach, and support functional leads for Impact Initiatives, Creative Content, and Digital Marketing
- Sets up direct report to do their best work, develop professionally, and navigate challenges through regular 1:1s, goal setting and performance reviews, and day-to-day support in order to retain direct reports and support them in retaining their teams
- Foster a strong organizational culture in the workplace aligned with Jumpstart’s core values and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Proactively look for ways to increase the department’s overall professional development
- Work with Marketing, Communications & Brand Team on planning, budgeting, analysis, and related strategies to support Jumpstart’s overall operations
- Work collaboratively with Vice President of Marketing Communications & Brand, Vice President of Development, Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and Chief Development and Marketing Officer (CDMO) to set and achieve revenue goals in the short and long term, operationalizing a multi-year development plan outlined by the CEO and CDMO
- Play a leadership role in the successful implementation of a Growth Capital Campaign (GCC), ensuring Marcomms Team have the support and resources needed to effectively participate in and drive GCC fundraising
- Ensure network-wide consistency of best practices surrounding Marketing, Communications, & Brand operations to create efficiency and provide for improved decision-making, and brand collateral development.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or equivalent, relevant professional experience
- Minimum of 10 years of combined professional experience in marketing, communications, and driving brand awareness with extensive integrated experience in integrated digital marketing, creative development and campaigns.
- 3-5 years of experience in media relations, writing press releases, and pitching journalists
- A demonstrated track record of managing and optimizing budgets to achieve KPIs, marketing performance and growth, and creating national brand recognition for a growing organization
- Strong project management and organization skills
- Prior experience and ability to manage staff and develop a high-functioning team of marketing professionals
- Prior experience in creative digital transformation and multi-channel expansion of a well-respected brand in a fast-growing market
- Experience in creative direction and managing creative teams.
- High emotional IQ and ability to adapt leadership and management style to various situations and diverse teams.
- Comprehensive analytical, strategic thinking, and problem-solving skills with the ability to plan and implement in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Strong communication, including written, public speaking and presentation skills
- Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities
- On-going commitment and interest in social justice or diversity, equity and inclusion work
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, connection, social justice, joy and inclusive leadership
- Experience in creative direction and managing creative teams
- Contacts in education, nonprofit, and national media outlets
Estimated 20% travel once organizational travel restrictions are lifted
ASAP or August 2023 (desired start date, yet position open until filled)
Flexible locations from one of Jumpstart’s offices in New York City, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, Washington, D.C.
Applicants must be able to work from one of these locations on a full-time basis. Telecommuting options possible through Jumpstart’s formal approval process.
SALARY & BENEFITS
$110,000-120,000 commensurate with education and experience; along with excellent benefits and a great mission-driven work environment
How To Apply
Please complete the online application found on Jumpstart’s website. Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
*Jumpstart’s online application process is supported by Paycom. To ensure that the online application works properly, please make sure cookies and pop-ups are enabled on your browser, and that firewall software (if used) is set to permit inbound and outbound traffic on port 443. Unfortunately, touch screens are not supported or certified by Paycom. For the best possible user experience, is recommended a minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health choices, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.