Executive Assistant to President and Chief Operating Officer
Jumpstart envisions the day when every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. A national early education organization with operations in 14 states plus Washington, DC, Jumpstart drives outcomes for young children in three critical ways. Jumpstart provides language, literacy, and social-emotional direct service programming utilizing an evidence-backed curriculum for preschool children from underserved communities, workforce programming to expand the pipeline of qualified, diverse talent pursuing careers in early education, and policy advocacy to support the early childhood field and promote high-quality early learning for all. By leveraging nearly 30 years of experience serving over 140,700 children with the support of more than 60,400 college students and community volunteers, Jumpstart executes these three objectives to improve the quality of the early education workforce and increase opportunity for young children to succeed across America. Learn more at jstart.org and join us in transforming the lives of young children!
Jumpstart seeks an Executive Assistant to partner with the President & Chief Operating Officer (COO) in overseeing Jumpstart’s internal operations and successful implementation of its strategic plan. Specifically, the role serves as an advisor, who drives communication, collaboration, and alignment across the organization as well as a trusted representative of the President & COO who convenes groups, provides research and benchmarking support, creates resources, produces communications, and provides administrative support. Additionally, the Executive Assistant oversees specific projects critical to Jumpstart’s overall organizational health and success.
- In partnership with President & COO identify needs for organization communication and transparency, collaboratively working to create necessary written documents, resources, or tools
- Support ongoing communication on behalf of President including writing of concise and impactful emails, talking points, briefings, pre-read and presentation materials
- Intentionally seek input on projects/work products to model and practice inclusive leadership
- Create reports on behalf of President & COO necessary to inform decision making, and respond to stakeholder needs internally and externally
- Plan meetings on behalf of the President & COO to increase effectiveness within the Operations Division, creating agendas or documents as necessary
- Identify and elevate issues that need to be addressed, participating in strategic and solution-oriented conversations in response to identified needs
- Facilitate Leadership Team logistics on behalf of the President & COO including booking time/space for meetings and retreats, creation of agendas and minutes from meetings, summaries of next steps, and monitoring of success against team deliverables
- Operate at a tactical, strategic and operational level, handling projects that do not neatly fit within the organizational chart or that fall between departments or leadership areas of responsibility.
- Create structure and focus for broad, ambiguous ideas that the President & COO is exploring and bring forth recommendations for action in a timely manner
- Provide administrative support as needed to free up President & COO’s time for more critical work
- Utilizing skills of organization and planning, strategically prioritize tasks, set meetings, and diffuse work conflicts on behalf of President & COO
- Organize workflow by facilitating note taking as needed, and summarizing with clearly defined next steps, providing meeting preparation to ensure President & COO is as productive as possible
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, social justice, community, joy, and inclusive leadership
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and act with discretion when necessary
- At least 7 years of professional experience with explicit experience in written communication creation
- Ability and willingness to travel to assigned locations/sites as necessary
- Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities
- Expertise in Microsoft Office suite and Google shared drive functionality
- Detail orientation and ability to hold high level focus simultaneously
- On-going commitment and interest in social justice or diversity, equity and inclusion work
Preferred or Ideal
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality work by bringing together multiple teams/departments for shared collaborative success
- Evidence of exceptional judgement and decision-making skills
- Ability to distill large amounts of information to key points
- Ability to adapt to changing conditions and independently define priorities
Limited national travel of no more than 5% possible as needed by the President to support work in one of Jumpstart’s 7 key geographies
June 2022 (preferred start date; yet position open until filled)
- Boston, MA (preferred location to provide direct support as needed to President & COO)
- With strong experience as a remote employee and a strong background, work from any Jumpstart hub office in either Atlanta, GA; Berkeley, CA; Chicago, IL; Los Angeles, CA; New York, NY; or Washington, DC
- Telecommuting option possible as part of a formal schedule of support
Salary & Benefits
Salary – $75,000 – $80,000 commensurate with education and experience; along with excellent benefits and a great mission-driven work environment
How To Apply
Please complete the online application found on Jumpstart’s website. Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
*Jumpstart’s online application process is supported by Paycom. To ensure that the online application works properly, please make sure cookies and pop-ups are enabled on your browser, and that firewall software (if used) is set to permit inbound and outbound traffic on port 443. Unfortunately, touch screens are not supported or certified by Paycom. For the best possible user experience, is recommended a minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health choices, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.