The San Francisco Bay Area office is looking for a current or former Member to share their Jumpstart story at our annual Scribbles to Novels gala held in San Francisco at the San Francisco Design Center. This fundraising gala is Thursday, March 14. This is an exciting professional development opportunity and an opportunity to share your experience with Jumpstart’s supporters.
If you would like to be considered to speak at this event, please submit this application, which includes a 500-word essay on what your Jumpstart experience has meant to you. Three finalists will be invited to present their essays at the San Francisco office of Jumpstart and the selected Member will work with a professional public speaking coach prior to the event.
Each finalist will receive:
- $100 cash award
- Have your story featured in future Jumpstart collateral (e.g. newsletter, Jumpstart website, etc.)
Winner will receive:
- $250 cash award
- Public speaking training from a professional speech coach
- Share your Jumpstart story to San Francisco Bay Area business and community leaders at the gala
- Be featured in Jumpstart communications (e.g. newsletter, social media, Jumpstart website)
Contest Key Dates
- Please email entries to Celia Carrasco at email@example.com and, if applicable, copy your Site Manager or Workforce Development Coordinator no later than January 29th
- Finalists will be announced the week of January 28th.
- Monday, February 11 at 6:00pm: Finalist speech presentations at the San Francisco Jumpstart office (alternative arrangements can be made for finalists that are not available during this time).
- Tuesday, February 19: Speech prep will begin this week in the Jumpstart office. Please be prepared to participate in weekly coaching sessions with the Jumpstart staff and/or speech coach for the next three-four weeks.
- Thursday, March 14: Share your story with hundreds of the Bay Area’s business and community leaders at the Scribbles to Novels Arrival time is approximately 4:30 pm.
Include the following:
- Class Year in School
- Employer (for Alumni only)
Essay Topic: What has your Jumpstart experience meant to you?
By sharing your Jumpstart story, your goal is to help our supporters understand what Jumpstart does and how the experience impacts our Members and the children you serve. We encourage you to be as creative/personal as you can be, but you may want to consider these questions before you begin writing:
- Why were you inspired to serve with Jumpstart?
- What are you most proud of about your service with children?
- How has your attitude/understanding about early childhood education changed?
- What has surprised you most about your service with Jumpstart?
- What do you wish more people knew about the children and communities you serve as a Member?