Reading Guide and Tips for Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad
Thank you for helping Jumpstart break a record for the world's largest shared reading experience! When reading Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad with groups of children, make the story an engaging and enjoyable learning opportunity! Here are some tips to make it happen.
Ideas for Reading the Book
- Introduce the book by sharing the title, the author, the illustrator, and talk briefly about the cover illustration.
- Hold the book so children can see the pictures clearly.
- Read slowly and clearly.
- Think of reading the story as a performance. Be animated and enthusiastic and use your face, body, and voice to tell the story. Have fun and enjoy reading the book.
- Have children repeat words, make noises, and do gestures together.
- Ask children meaningful questions and listen to their comments. Involve them in thinking about how the book relates to their own lives.
Suggestions and Questions for Involving Children in Your Reading
- "Ladybug Girl is excited and can’t wait for the first official Bug Squad playdate. What do you think they will do?"
- "On the way to the Bug Squad Base, Ladybug Girl, Bumblebee Boy, Dragonfly Girl, and Butterfly Girl pass by Lulu’s big brother. I wonder why her brother doesn’t like bugs."
- "The Bug Squad tries to think of a password to get into the secret hideout and they agree on Bingo. What would you choose for the password?"
- "When the Bug Squad shows off their powers they do lots of different things. What would you do to show off your powers?"
- "Lulu’s mama brings a lovely platter of chocolate cup cakes (YUM) and lights the candles. Lulu tells everyone that she will count to three and they all have to blow out their candles." (Invite children to count to three with you and blow out a candle). "Lulu counts to three and blows out her candle and then Kiki’s candle too. How do you think this makes Kiki feel? How would you feel?"
- "Lulu did not mean to hurt her friend Kiki’s feelings and wants her to know she is sorry. After she tells her she is sorry they blow out the candle together. I wonder how Kiki feels now."
- "The Bug Squad has a very important secret mission and they go up the stairs in the house and peak around the door at the 'mean alien.' What do you think they will do?"